May 8, 2014

The Myth of Learning Styles

The Myth of Learning Styles

4 comments:

  1. Interesting to know that Gardner clarified that different types of intelligence are not linked to learning styles. It is a relief somehow to know that there are no individual styles but we all learn in a combination of ways. I also wonder whether learning preferences can be inherited culturally. For example the Arabia region peoples were accomplished at memorizing from hearing and reciting.

    In a study on Sharjah American university and one in America little difference was found between learning styles. (http://www.it-innovations.ae/iit005/proceedings/articles/F_2_IIT05_Zualkerna.pdf)
    However historically there is evidence that Arab region relies on memorization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sheeba, hearing and reciting was used a lot, but now some children like to see the words before memorizing it as it helps them memorizing "visual". before our days the teachers "science or history" used to explain to us the topics theory the next period she will bring maps or models for us to see...now the use of technology makes it more simple for teachers to show the processes like protein synthesis from DNA for instant using utube, a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting article. I appreciate the approaches to move foward : "individualize" (easier for smaller class size but agree that with apps this is possible) and "pluralize".

    I agree that we learn by linking images and words - multi-modal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through trial and error I have evolved my lessons to incorporate many elements, whether visual through diagrams and videos, or words in PowerPoints, as well as hands on in the labs, and topped them with question and answer revision at the beginning of every class that jogs their memory and wake them up! i do firmly believe in ideas presented in a multi-modal way or conveyed through different media

    ReplyDelete