I was surprised to learn that young people’s experience of internet is primarily through Apps I would agree that I do use the web browser and email more than Apps. For this reason they use smart phones while older people have gone from lap tops to ipads. As smartphone size is smaller I also feel screen size of ipad is suited more to the older generation eye sight wise.
“The over 30-age demographic grew up with desktop email, internet forums, chat rooms, instant messaging and message boards, where the the majority of the internet was experienced through a single application — the Web browser — which was the gateway to the world. Accessing the Web relied on this, and tablets are a natural extension of this behavior.” “Young people don’t use tablets because they don’t see them as necessary for accessing the internet, since their perception is that apps are what makes up the internet.”
The two parts of the reading are insightful and I have noticed this within my own students and children.
I confess that I was one of the 1st to use the smartphone when it was launched some 3 years back and now a self-professed smartphone junkie. I almost do everything using my smartphone from responding to short emails, pay my bills and resonding to survery in restaurants to get rebates for the next meal (refer to Kanari.co) not forgetting to play games and browse the internet.
Am not surprise that the younger generation tend to use smartphones more as they are exposed to a much lighter, more mobile and seamless tool. Literally information and the ability to manage your life to certain extend at your palm.
Recently got a mini iPad for my mother as the smartphone scree is too small and she already has a regular handphone. So I understand why iPad is more practical for the older generation.
This article explains quite logically the benefits and limitations of each device and I agree and look forward to the merging of the mobile and tablet and make one device due to the overlap of functionality. I'm one of those who enjoyed their BBM functions and resisted change, but was pleasently surprised with the IPhone that I do spend most of my time on it using mobile apps.
I absolutely agree that smart phones are overtaking the I pads, easy access to internet, Apps and easy to carry.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to learn that young people’s experience of internet is primarily through Apps I would agree that I do use the web browser and email more than Apps. For this reason they use smart phones while older people have gone from lap tops to ipads. As smartphone size is smaller I also feel screen size of ipad is suited more to the older generation eye sight wise.
ReplyDelete“The over 30-age demographic grew up with desktop email, internet forums, chat rooms, instant messaging and message boards, where the the majority of the internet was experienced through a single application — the Web browser — which was the gateway to the world. Accessing the Web relied on this, and tablets are a natural extension of this behavior.”
“Young people don’t use tablets because they don’t see them as necessary for accessing the internet, since their perception is that apps are what makes up the internet.”
The two parts of the reading are insightful and I have noticed this within my own students and children.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI confess that I was one of the 1st to use the smartphone when it was launched some 3 years back and now a self-professed smartphone junkie. I almost do everything using my smartphone from responding to short emails, pay my bills and resonding to survery in restaurants to get rebates for the next meal (refer to Kanari.co) not forgetting to play games and browse the internet.
ReplyDeleteAm not surprise that the younger generation tend to use smartphones more as they are exposed to a much lighter, more mobile and seamless tool. Literally information and the ability to manage your life to certain extend at your palm.
Recently got a mini iPad for my mother as the smartphone scree is too small and she already has a regular handphone. So I understand why iPad is more practical for the older generation.
This article explains quite logically the benefits and limitations of each device and I agree and look forward to the merging of the mobile and tablet and make one device due to the overlap of functionality. I'm one of those who enjoyed their BBM functions and resisted change, but was pleasently surprised with the IPhone that I do spend most of my time on it using mobile apps.
ReplyDelete